Want to rank your website higher, get more traffic, and generate more leads as a chiropractor? Good! You’ve come to the right place.
This article will give you a solid foundation to start your chiropractic SEO campaign quickly and get results fast. Because the content is a little more advanced, I will link back to other articles to help shorten the learning curve.
Chiropractic SEO Step 1: How’s The Website Look?
Before you start your SEO, you’ll want to make sure your website is complete. By complete, I mean all pages are linking and working correctly, and your website is mobile-friendly. You will also need to have an SSL as well as multiple pages and not just a single page website (you can still rank but it’ll be harder). Bonus points if you already have a blog set up!
You’ll also want to make sure you have calls-to-action sprinkled throughout your site. This might come in the form of a contact-us button or a form fill box. If you really want to generate traffic, creating an online special for first time visitors will definitely help.
I like to focus on setting up your website first because I find that most businesses focus more on getting traffic than on conversions. If you have a clean, easy-to-navigate site that focuses on user experience, chances are that over time, your website will convert much higher than your competition.
Step 2: Keyword Research
Next, you need to identify what keywords you want to rank for. We like to use SEMRush Keyword Tool. It’s a quality, cost-effective tool for keyword research. For example, after a quick search, I see that there are 450,000 monthly searches for “chiropractor near me.” This would be an ideal keyword to go after regardless of where you live, and it’s an easy keyword to appear in the Google Local Map Pack.
For more information on ranking in the Google Local Map Pack, check out this Local SEO Guide Blog.
I’m going to focus on ranking for “chiropractor + city.” I live in Cincinnati, so I’m going to base my research on Cincinnati search results.
Using SEMRush, I find that there are 880 monthly searches for chiropractor Cincinnati. Further, there are 140 monthly searches for best chiropractor Cincinnati.
Let’s say I offer prenatal chiropractic treatment. I’m going to want my prenatal chiropractic page to rank for the keyword “Prenatal chiropractor Cincinnati.” The end goal here is to target my pages to rank with specific keywords.
There are a few things you want to keep in mind when it comes to ranking and keywords. Ranking all your keywords on 1 or 2 pages can throw off your rankings long term. By ranking 1 page for 1-3 keywords, your results will be immediate as well as grow long term. This is why we recommend a blog (more on that later).
As you dig into the keyword research more and more, you will identify all the keywords you want your business to rank for, then assign these keywords to specific pages on your site. Now, you have specific topics on each page which will help guide written content for each of those pages.
I don’t go too much into keyword research because I’ve already written a blog, Keyword Research Made Easier. Give it a read if you are struggling with step 2, then come back here to move onto step 3!
Step 3: Writing Your SEO Content
Okay, so now you have the keywords you want to target and what pages you want to rank them on. Your next step? Creating copy that ranks for your target keywords.
Writing content that ranks for a particular keyword or key phrase isn’t nearly as hard as SEO’s claim it to be. Here are a few things I note when creating content and optimizing a page for a specific keyword:
- Make sure you use the keyword you are targeting as an H1 on the page.
- Using an H1 tag for the keyword allows Google to find you easier. Imagine Google is a giant filing cabinet. You want to make it as easy as possible for Google to find your site. Using H1 tags tells Google you want to be identified for this keyword.
- Use the keyword 3-4 times throughout the page, organically.
- I used to stuff keywords into sites to get them ranking and this just doesn’t work anymore (and in some cases will get your site penalized). Make sure that your keyword is used organically 3-4 times throughout the page. For instance, as I was writing the blog post you are reading right now, my target keyword was “Chiropractic SEO” which has 110 monthly searches. I’ve sprinkled this keyword throughout the entire page to make sure Google ranks me for it.
- Make sure your page has more than 750 words.
- Some SEO’s will tell you that you need 1,000 + words per page to rank online. I don’t believe this is correct. I’ve personally ranked pages with as little as 250 words. It might be harder to do, but it’s not impossible.
- 750 words is a good benchmark because it’s enough for you to provide valuable content which is ultimately what Google wants.
- Make sure your page has a call-to-action
- This doesn’t necessarily impact SEO negatively. But think of it this way: if 1000 people visit a page on your website that doesn’t have a call-to-action, chances are you’re not going to convert nearly as many people as if you told them to take action.
- Having a call-to-action also reduces your bounce rate since people will click to the next page instead of leaving your site. This reduction in bounce rate increases your SEO metrics because it makes your site look more valuable in search engines.
That’s it. It’s not hard to optimize your pages. By making these simple content changes, I promise you will rank for your keywords. Most likely, you won’t rank on page 1, but you will rank, which is half the battle!
Step 4: Building Your Website Authority
Now that you have a website with specific keywords to rank for, you need to build authority for your site. In order to have a successful chiropractic SEO campaign, you must be an authority for the keywords you’re targeting.
How do I become an authority?
Glad you asked! The number one factor when determining ranks for Google are backlinks.
Backlinks are links on other sites that link back to your site. This gives you “link juice” which basically tells Google you are relevant for that keyword.
SEO has less to do with what your website says about you, and more to do with what other websites say about you.
When you have multiple websites linking to your site with content about your keywords, search engines go, “This website must be an authority for ‘target keyword.’” This boosts your authority.
If you’re wondering how many links you need to rank, there is no easy answer. It depends on so many various factors that I’d be lying to you if I said, “Oh, it takes 23 links.”
If you want to learn more about links, I’ve created a blog post that covers the top link building techniques. It outlines 8 methods that will help you acquire links naturally.
DO NOT DO THIS!
Please don’t go to Fiverr and buy links from someone that “guarantees page 1 ranks.” Nine times out of ten, these links are poor quality and will end up getting your site penalized.
If you do not have time to reach out to website owners for guest blog links, we have a service that does it for you.
Our Pattern Guest Post service will get you high quality backlinks on blogs specific to your industry. Additionally, we offer a foundational backlink package that will help boost your website authority overtime. Our Pattern Foundations service will get you high quality, contextual backlinks that piggyback off high domain authority websites.
By building links over time you will inevitably rank higher. The quality of your backlinks are going to be the most important factor. One high quality domain linking back to your site could be worth more than 10,000 lesser quality backlinks.
Step 5: Tracking and Optimizing
After your site is ranking and you start building backlinks, it’s always good to make sure you know where you stand with your target keywords.
Using SEMRush Keyword Tool is a great way to track your SEO campaign. Additionally if you are looking for a more hands-off approach, we are here to help!
Managed Chiropractic SEO
If you finished this blog and said, “Okay, this is great, but I don’t have time,” that’s where we can help.
Pattern SEO will help you increase your rankings and traffic which will generate more calls and inbound leads. And we do all the work.
We offer custom tracking, so you can login and view your keywords at any time. We will also create a custom-tailored strategy for your business.
Since you made it to the bottom of this blog, we know you take SEO seriously and we want to give you a special offer. If you schedule a strategy call with us and tell us that you found us through this chiropractic SEO blog, we will give you 30% off your first 3 months of SEO.
Click here to schedule a free strategy call today!